Ride Reports

Saturday 8th July 2017

B2 Ride to Silverdale by Steve Hopkinson
On a perfect day for cycling – blue skies, light winds, and dry - eight B2 riders set off for Silverdale. Pete H, Phil D, Bill D, Martin S, Shane B, Sec, myself and newbie Tim. There is no official route on the Club’s website, so I had to play it by ear. I used the route from a ride I did with the Club in October 2015. We started up the A6, before turning off up Hollins Lane on the usual route towards Quernmore and Caton. Briefly onto the A683 and then over the Lune Bridge, before turning up Green Lane for the first serious climb of the day, although to be honest it’s not that bad.
Over Kellet, Borwick and Priest Hutton were visited, with a view of a buzzard being mobbed by two crows, and up to Burton-in Kendal, where we turned off towards the Yealands and Silverdale. Crossing the A6, it was remarked how the scenery changed dramatically – presumably something to do with the limestone in that area.
The café stop was the RSPB reserve at Leighton Moss, where the service was excellent, the food equally so and good value, especially with the 10% discount for cyclists – surely a contender for GCC café of the year.
We then had a short loop through Silverdale itself. The bunting was out as if they were expecting us, but I suspect it was more to do with the Local Food Festival they were holding. A brief stop for Pete H to drop something off at a house in the village (not sure what it was, but there was some speculation it may have been a drugs drop!), then on to Carnforth and Nether Kellet. Riding down towards the T-junction at Halton Training Camp, we appeared to lose Bill and Tim. Despite waiting a long time and the RC riding back up the hill to see if I could spot them, of the two, there was no sign. We suspected they must have turned off left into Halton itself.
Down to six, we crossed the Lune over the canal aqueduct and onto the cycle path into Lancaster, where Shane left us to cycle home to Heysham. Down to five, we wound our way through the back streets of Lancaster and onto the canal tow path and eventually through the University to Galgate. Up to Five Lane Ends, where we crossed our original route out and where Pete left us to make his own way home. Down to four, we made our way back though Scorton, passing the Fleece, where Martin left us. Down to three, we increased our average speed somewhat by chain-ganging our way back to Garstang.
The weather could not have been better, the company equally so. Not too difficult a ride with 55.5 miles, 2400 feet climbed, at an average moving speed of 14 mph.

 Comments (click to expand)

Loading comments...

Add a comment (click to expand)