Ride Reports

Saturday 1st September 2018

A/B1 ride Cartmel, Corney and other lumps - Michael Birchall
After the initial concern of posting a P&R over lumpy lakeland terrain and getting little interest I was happy to see an eventual crew of five set off from our designated start, that being a lay-by just off the A590 at the top of Lindal hill.
The forecast was mixed, depending on the source of info, but I was happy that the cloud seemed high and the light good. Ailment excuses swapped we set off through the distinct terrain of the Cartmel fells to Bigland Hill giving the brakes a good bedding in on the long descent to the flat silt bed of Roundsea woods (a good cut across, if you don't mind a bit of RT). Crossing the footbridge over the Leven estuary we climbed out of Penny Bridge over lumps to Ulverston. Taking a right out of the centre of town gave us our 3 rd climb of the day over the Furness fells, past the wind turbines, and with fine vistas of the Millom estuary, down to join the A595 and on through Broughton in Furness. From here Corney Fell loomed 1300ft of steady climbing, fairly steep through the trees easing up to a long but less challenging roll over the top. With an unlikely South Easterly breeze on our tails the 5 mile descent was fast and technical in places giving brakes and judgment a fair test.
Keith creating his own riding cream on one particular tricky series of bends. A short climb past Muncaster Castle saw the weather deteriorate and the forecasted drizzle descended and spoiled the fun. Staying with us to the brew stop at the fine, if a tad pricey, Woodlands cafe at Santon Bridge we took refuge. Grumpy old man talk expired and various tits logged in the on table bird observer journal we donned our damp rags and ventured out into the receding damp. The rain finally gave up and we joining the Fred Witton route. We climbed Irton Pike, taking a right after Eskdale Green and over, our 5th climb of the day, Birker Fell. No 6, Kiln Bank followed too quickly, the sharp 25% dig leaving legs depleted and glad of the brief rest at the top. All Still in good spirits we soldiered on over High Cross the final lump of the day apart from the long steady drag from Newby Bridge back to Newton and the finish. A challenging 72 miles with little drama, good company and a cup or two for the club cabinet.

 Comments (click to expand)

Loading comments...

Add a comment (click to expand)